LudoMastro

Mostly dedicated to my random thoughts on role playing games, movies, books etc. Updated sporadically. Comments are welcome but monitored.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thoughts on Balance

Back in the saddle.

Last time I posted anything of note I talked about levels - more specifically character levels as used to "balance" the game. This time I wanted to talk a minute about the elusive concept of balance. What does balance mean? Ask 10 gamers and get 11 answers. Seriously, try it. I'll wait.

...

See, told ya. Thing is it means different things to different people. The best definition that I have ever heard - and one that I agree with - is this: Balance is making sure that all characters in the game, members of the group, etc. are contributing in an equal way. Sometimes this is impossible. Have a crazy axe-murderer after you, then the guy that's good with guns is probably the one to save the day. Need a comrade turned back into a person after Medusa turned him to stone? The wizard is probably your friend. That said, balance is typically lost when one character constantly and/or consistently outshines the others. Sometimes this is a people dynamic. Just let the guy running the game have his girlfriend (or worse, his fiance) play. Your characters just don't matter. This is of course a generalization.

Generalizations aside though. It is one part people skills, one part planning and at least two parts game system design.

Think about the kid's game, Paper, Rock, Scissors for a minute and you can understand at least some idea of balance. I play rock consistently and I will loose to paper and beat scissors every single time. Nothing wrong with it, just pointing it out.

Well, my eyelids have started rebelling, so I must hold off the rest of this thought until tomorrow.

Until then, have a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home