LudoMastro

Mostly dedicated to my random thoughts on role playing games, movies, books etc. Updated sporadically. Comments are welcome but monitored.

Monday, November 17, 2008

I mistakenly thought that the week after the audit would be easier but, no! Not so much. Anyway, on with the discussion on balance.

I will continue with the Paper, Rock, Scissors analogy because I figure most people are familiar with that game. Imagine for a minute that the game were Paper Rock. That's right no Scissors. It seems balanced - each person has two choices. However, if I consistently play Rock - the equivalent of some characters abilities, I will always draw against a Rock opponent and loose to a Paper opponent. Literally the best that I can do is tie. That is not fun.

Once we had back in Scissors again, I can continue to play Rock and will win approximately 1/3 of the time, tie 1/3 of the time and loose 1/3 of the time. That is much more balanced to my way of thinking. Add in the fact that I can choose my "strategy" and you have the makings of a fun game or a quick way to decide who gets the front seat on a long car trip. Or for my kids, who gets to pick the bowl with a certain cartoon character for breakfast cereal. (Don't laugh, for them, it's not funny. Also there is a World Championship for Rock, Paper, Scissors.)

Anyway, game balance is a tricky thing. What works for one game may not for another. That for one group may not work for another, etc. Have fun and see what works for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home