What attributes are needed?
Quick Spycraft 2.0 update
I reset the game back to the beginning and got more traditional spy-like B&E action. Much tear gas was thrown and the group had a great deal of fun.
-----
How many and which attributes should an RPG have?
Well, for me I would say as many as needed to convey the system. Yes, I know that is a cop-out answer. D&D could do without Charisma and could replace Constitution with some class abilities if they wanted to. Shadowrun could drop Strength for all the good it does in the game.
For some reason most games try to preserve an even number of attributes and a more or less even split between physical and mental attributes. I don't see why that is important. If the game is about the head games that spies play, then the mental side of the equation should weigh more. If the game is about kicking in doors and chasing the bad guys then the physical side should outweigh the mental.
So, where to I sit?
Good question. I would say that you need an attribute that describes the toughness of the character, one that describes his physical abilities, one that describes his mental toughness and on that describes his mental processes.
Let's call them:
Toughness
Athletics
Willpower
Intelligence
And there we see that I have an even number of attributes with an equal division between physical and mental. Maybe I've played too many games? Maybe there is something inherent in wanting to balance the body with the mind?
Well, my daughter needs me to change her - well the wife says I need to at any rate.
Until later, have fun gaming.
I reset the game back to the beginning and got more traditional spy-like B&E action. Much tear gas was thrown and the group had a great deal of fun.
-----
How many and which attributes should an RPG have?
Well, for me I would say as many as needed to convey the system. Yes, I know that is a cop-out answer. D&D could do without Charisma and could replace Constitution with some class abilities if they wanted to. Shadowrun could drop Strength for all the good it does in the game.
For some reason most games try to preserve an even number of attributes and a more or less even split between physical and mental attributes. I don't see why that is important. If the game is about the head games that spies play, then the mental side of the equation should weigh more. If the game is about kicking in doors and chasing the bad guys then the physical side should outweigh the mental.
So, where to I sit?
Good question. I would say that you need an attribute that describes the toughness of the character, one that describes his physical abilities, one that describes his mental toughness and on that describes his mental processes.
Let's call them:
Toughness
Athletics
Willpower
Intelligence
And there we see that I have an even number of attributes with an equal division between physical and mental. Maybe I've played too many games? Maybe there is something inherent in wanting to balance the body with the mind?
Well, my daughter needs me to change her - well the wife says I need to at any rate.
Until later, have fun gaming.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home